Friday, August 25, 2006

Celebrating in a quiet way

I like this song. It is by India Arie, whose music is absolutely fabulous in my opinion. I cut one line out cuz it makes me cringe but otherwise I like it. I like to listen to this and remind myself to celebrate who I am. I don't always love myself so it is good to remind myself to do so sometimes... not in an arrogant way but in the "I shouldn't be so hard on myself way". And yes it is almost my birthday. And yes, I am turning 29 again. And no, I am not doing anything to mark the day... maybe just a private party after I get home from a long day of work. We were supposed to be having dinner with friends but DH says that is a no go.

I'm having a private party
Ain't nobody here but me, my angels, and my guitar singin' baby look how far we've come here
I'm havin' a private party
Learning how to love me
Celebrating the woman I've become, yeah

I tried to call my mother, but
She didn't get where I was going
I called my boyfriend (insert husband when I sing it) and he said
Call me back a little later baby
I hung up the phone, I felt so alone
Started to feel a little pity
That's when I realized that I
Gotta find the joy inside of me

[Chorus]

Look at myself in the mirror
We're gonna have a conversation
We're gonna heal the disconnection
I don't remember when it started
But this is where it's gonna end
My body is beautiful and sacred
And I'm gonna celebrate it

[Chorus]

All my life (all my life)
I've been looking for (I've been looking for)
Somebody else (else)
To make me whole (ooo)
But I had to learn the hard way (ooo)
True love began with me (ooo)
This is not ego or vanity (ooo)
I'm just celebrating me

[Chorus]

Sometimes I'm alone but never lonely
That's what I've come to realize
I've learned to love the quiet moments
The Sunday mornings of life
Where I can reach deep down inside
Or out into the universe
I can laugh until I cry
Or I can cry away the hurt

[Chorus]

Happy birthday to me
Happy birthday to me
Happy birthday
Happy birthday to me
Happy birthday to me
Happy birthday

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday! Mine is on Boxing Day so I always end up celebrating quietly. I used to mind but now it is just another day. I like the song you printed, will have to see if I can download it.

4ever29 said...

29 eh? :)

Magnificent M said...

Always! LOL!

Lindsey and Mike said...

Hey, you're worth celebrating:)

Magnificent M said...

ohhh, accapella please! ha ha ha!