Sunday, July 16, 2006

Would Patchouli by another name smell so foul?

Yes, I would argue it would.

I have a dilemma and bloggers, I need your help.

I have stinky cupboard. The foul odor is not my smelly stink, it is from the previous owners. When we moved in, I opened this cupboard and almost fell over from the cloud of stench that arose from it. I quickly closed it. I thought that the smell would go away, it has not. Yes, 3.5 months later it still smells. What does it smell like you ask? Patchouli.

I suspect based on its stench and location, it was used to store cheap, scented candels. Every once in awhile I smell a scented candle that I can say is acceptable. More often than naught however I have to say they stink to me. That is most likley because I am allergic to most perfumes and that candle smell gives me a headache. I have up until today, stored various miscellaneous boxes of, well, junk in said cupboard. Today I decided it was the perfect cupboard to store my long neglected scrapbooking supplies. Its close to the dining room table, its not all that useful or necessary for my kitchen supplies and it is large and currently not serving any purpose. I opened it up and, ohhh, the stench! Patchouli! Ick!!

I refuse to stash my scrapbooks in there! Fellow bloggers, any ideas on how to get rid of such an odor? My plans thus far are:

1. lay tea towels on the bottom, covered in baking soda to hopefully absorb the offensive smell
2. wash with vinegar and water

After this I have no further ideas! Anyone had any luck with this?

3 comments:

Magnificent M said...

I touched the surfaces before to see if they were clean and they *seemed* fine but hey, I'm up for anything at this point. I will try carwash cleaner... had some but if out will pop by today and borrow yours :-). Its worth a shot anyways!

the smell just reminds me of unwashed hippies.

Coramie said...

Hi Michelle:
Tyla's mom here.....try Febreze. I know it has a smell of it's own, but it does dissipate after a while. One of the members of my online clay group tried it to get rid of skunk smell on plywood and it worked!!
Good luck!!

Magnificent M said...

wow, skunk is really stinky! If it worked for that... I will let you know if it works!