The sunny Okanagon seems to be a bit behind in the times on a few issues. The first is Cancer... of all kinds. I've never seen so many smokers. I mean most people don't smoke anymore... at least those I knew who did have all stopped. Up here I have seen way more than I am used to. Second, skin cancer doesn't seem to be a huge concern here. Most people are not attempting to block the sun rays at all, well, except those of us from Vancouver. One woman sitting next to me on the beach today (smoking) was saying how she just allows herself to burn at the beginning of the season and then it is all tan from there. I literally had to roll my eyes in my sunglasses. The third issue, beauty pageants. I thought that those had pretty much died off except in the beautiful U.S of A where ones looks are apparently more important than brains. Today was Canada Day and also the Cherry Festival here in Osoyoos. The day started with a pancake breakfast (which we opted out of) and then the infamous Cherry Festival Parade. Having recently attended Pitt Meadows Day Parade (wonderfully blogged about by Puffy Shirt Hottie) and seeing fellow community members simply stroll down the street and wave and therefore be in the parade, I was pleasantly surprised to see a few floats. The first of honorable mention was Miss Osoyoos and her royal court. Dh and I had a good laugh as they had clearly been taught or had practiced the "royal wave". They were all dressed up in flouncy dresses and it was quite a sight. But it turned out they were not our only royalty, we had Miss Vernon and friends, Miss Penticton and friends, Miss Kelowna and friends, Miss Oroville and friends and I think yet another whom I am forgetting. All were in fancy princess dress, sporting the royal wave and Paris Hiltonesque sunglasses. Every single one of these girls was pretty and frankly looked almost identical, with that sort of disneyesque big eyes and tiny waist thingy going on. By about float #3 of royal parties, I felt somewhat cyncial.
Perhaps they were awarded these positions for their intelligence... but then why the strapless dresses? perhaps they are actually very smart girls, afterall every single Miss U.S.A. candidate is either going to be a pediatrician, world leader/ambassador or a child psychologist! THere is nothing wrong with being beautiful afterall... but I guess I think society has done young girls a disfavor when we tell them that they are valued by their looks. Miss U.S.A. candidates apparently have to have intelligence to get in (supposedly) but I ask you this, if intelligence matter SO much to the judges (and I doubt it does) why aren't there any of us plain girls in it? And why do they still march around in bathing suits if its their brains that matter??
I imagine every little girl on that parade route looked up at those overgrown barbies (that is what they looked like, not necessarily who they are) on the pretty floats (and who doesn't want to ride a pretty float??!!!) and thought admiring thoughts.
I want more than that for Banana. I want her to see past all of that, even if society can not. And I want more than that for Gorilla too.
What is Pink's line...What happened to the dreams of a girl president
She's dancing in the video next to 50 Cent
They travel in packs of two or three
With their itsy bitsy doggies and their teeny-weeny tees
Where, oh where, have the smart people gone?
Oh where, oh where could they be?
Maybe if I act like that, that guy will call me back
Porno Paparazzi girl, I don't wanna be a stupid girl
Baby if I act like that, flipping my blond hair back
Push up my bra like that, I don't wanna be a stupid girl
(Break it down now)
Disease's growing, it's epidemic
I'm scared that there ain't a cure
The world believes it and I'm going crazy
I cannot take any more
I'm so glad that I'll never fit in
That will never be me
Outcasts and girls with ambition
That's what I wanna see
Disasters all around
World despaired
Their only concern
Will they **** up my hair
Saturday, July 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like your vacation is going swell. Cute pics of Banana and Gorilla (love the wildlife caption:).
I think that it says a lot that you even desire for your kids to realize that life is more than a beauty pagent (I often seriously question if many parents even do that). Although I don't have kids, I'm a kid who was raised by parents who instilled those values and they've always stuck with me and I think if that's what you believe and that's what you preach to your kids, the rest will probably work itself out.
And let's face it...what you have on your hands is a couple of future phenominal 'grown-ups'. Hats off to you and your man!
well that is good to know that your parents raised you that way and you think that way... there is hope. I don't recall my mother's perspective on beauty pageants... do remember watching them though!
Post a Comment