Monday, July 31, 2006

Its Captain Hook! No wait, its James Douglas... no wait its Don.

Yesterday was family day. We had planned to go for a hike and have lunch somewhere woodsy but we woke early to the sound of thunderstorms. Before DH headed out to play worship music, we discussed possible options... the usual suspects were considered, science world (exciting the first 50 times), aquarium (same old same old and expensive and not that pleasant in the rain), Ikea (who really benefits from that?? ummm, me. not very group activity orientated) and going to see a movie (but I took the kids to see one while DH was away so errr, no go). DH headed out and I sat down at the computer and wasted considerable time looking for something good to do in the rain. I briefly considered Castle Fun Park but didn't think I was up to spending too much money surrounded by children who act as though they have escaped from Lord of the Flies and have eaten too much junk food. I pondered a drive through the U.S. but decided that the kids would feel as I did when my parents used to drag me on these trips, bummed to spend a day in the car. I considered a trip to Granville Island, the Maritime museum and riding the little Ferry around false creek but again the weather was an issue. Finally I came across the perfect outing... Storyeum. DH is a history buff and loves a good museum. Me, not so much. but this museum is interactive so I thought it might be interesting. And with all that interaction and apparently song and dance (literally) the kids were bound to be amused. The website was down so I couldn't get much info but it appeared to be expensive. I decided not to tell the kids until DH got home just in case he kaiboshed (sp?) it.

Storyeum was approved, DH was thrilled that we might spend the day learning history, and off we went, picnic lunch packed in cooler and raincoats in hand.

We took the skytrain, which in itself is a fun outing in the eyes of my kids. We walked through Gastown, which is always fun and then headed to Storyeum. It was expensive and the jury is still out for me as to whether it was truly worth it. It is beautiful. You climb into this circular elevator that takes you and 100 other tourists down a shaft. You then enter a series of theatres that are elaborately decorated all around the seating area. The first area is this beginning of human history from a First Nation's perspective skit/off broadway production, complete with choreagraphy that would please my children's music teacher who thinks he is on broadway, and people breaking out into song. It is followed by a rain shower with drama and then you move to the next area. You continue to move enmasse through bc's history until you arrive in 1945. Highlights include a very realistic protrayal of the inside of a Haida Longhouse, , an amazing replica of a boat actually in a large expanse of water, Barkerville and my personal favorite, my daughter getting to take part in one of the skits, waving a banner that said "Sister's Unite" while a suffragette talked about why women should get the vote.

At one point James Douglas was yapping about something and I couldn't help but think "I think I know that man... He reminds me of Captain Hook... I think... I think I have danced with that man! aha! Its Don Nelson!!" And sure enough it was! Don played Captain Hook in a rousing version of Peter Pan that our studio put on. He was also my pas de deux partner many years ago in ballet. He used to be in my ballet class, and no he was not gay. I know, how many men take ballet and are not Gay?... well there is Don... no seriously, you'd be surprised. It is probably a good way to meet girls! But back to Don... he was a bit older than us and I didn't know him all that well except that I had to dance with him and that at the time this embarrassed me a bit. Even worse was when my boyfriend at the time came to SEE the performance... I doubt I looked very "passionate" in the pas de deux. Ha! Sadly, no pictures.

Overall I would say that the "scenery" is incredible, the production is quite amazing, the singing and dancing was amusing but cheesy and the historical content minimal. It was a bit like a Canadian version of Disney (therefore slightly less flashy and attempting to be all "natural" and "educational" with a tinge of national pride and CBC esque feelings thrown in for good measure) does BC history. At the very end you ride up an elevator while BC images flash on the white walls and this very tear jerker "BC is amazing" song plays. I was having flashbacks to expo 86.... and my trip to Sea World last year where they do a medley of every emotional song about how great the U.S. of A is paired with red, white and blue fireworks paired with beer images.

We also saw the Dinosaurs in Gastown exhibit. It was okay but overpriced. There was some overacting here too and lifesize T-Rex that was automated and made growling noises. Gorilla was a bit freaked as he thought it was real. I told him it wasn't but he was still nervous. So then I told him it was like Serafina the robotic cat we own (one of THE most annoying toys put out by the barbie people EVER!!! She has barbie like eyelashes, meows and talks about how pretty she thinks she is. It doesn't get more annoying than that) and he was fine.

Afterwards we walked for a bit and then decided on the Old Spaghetti Factory for dinner for an acceptable and very affordable dinner. The kids were happy and that was the whole point so all in all, successful.

2 comments:

T. said...

What an adventure! I haven't been on the sky train/ to down town Van for SO long. The T-Rex sounds a little freaky.

4ever29 said...

I have been considering going to Storyuem with my family for a while so thanks for your insight. You can get slightly discounted admission through Costco. Glad you enjoyed Spagetti Factory!