Yesterday was bread day. The Dolci people make bread 1x a week, available for pickup/purchase on saturdays. We pre-ordered 2 baguettes and a loaf of whole wheat. The baguettes were amazing!! And the whole wheat is a wonderful round loaf of really good bread with a great crust! I was a bit disappointed that I hadn't opted for mulitgrain as it turned out to be a dark, dark, dark long loaf of a deep rye type bread rolled in oats. Ahhhh, I love that type of bread! But the kids wouldn't have touched it so I suppose its good I didnt' opt for that! While picking up the bread we opted for breakfast at Dolci and it was once again, amazing. This time we went Euro and had a breakfast typical of Germany - breads, meats, cheese and good coffee. There was fruit again and the owner was so kind as to divide up fruit into smaller servings for the kids too. Banana had her first taste of a croissant and said "c'est bien!". She wanted to know all sorts of french words so DH and I pulled out all of our long lost french vocab for her. DH knows more spanish than french now and I have forgotten a shocking amount considering I once worked in Hull Quebec in an office where most people spoke francais first and english second. I was never one for the languages though.
While we ate our wonderful dinner of which I blogged about already, the kids had hot dogs. Much excitement over this. DH jokingly piped up something about it being "so gourmet" and Banana earnestly said "yes, it is so delicious!" Ah well. Whats a vacation without some pig lips??
(cute aside: we bought the kids this sparkling peach drink stuff that comes in a wine like bottle. They wanted to drink it from wine glasses so we indulged them. DH pretended to be their waiter and had Gorilla taste it first to see if he approved of the vintage -he did. Then I taught them how to snif, swirl, snif again, and label what you smell, taste and label what you taste. Great fun! Of course Peach Sparkler smells of overwhelming "peach essence"... I kind of smelled a whif of fuzzy peach candies and just a hint of earthiness. Banana said she smelled apple juice and lo and behold there was apple juice in it.)
We are heading up to Naramata for 3 days as of tomorrow. I love Naramata. It is kind of a gulf islands in the okanagan but with phenomenal wine and amazing food. Its a bit hippy, a bit artist, a bit yuppy, a bit volvo all rolled up into one little community. We will be winerying it quite extensively. The kids oddly quite enjoy the winery thing... there is often a dog around, sometimes horses nearby, usually a field and sometimes you get to wander among some grapes. We've never wineried at this time of year so the kids are a bit disappointed to find that the grapes are not yet edible. Bummer. It is kind of fun to taste the different grapes.
Our goal? We need to find the sparkling/champagne esque wine we hope to serve at our re-wedding/anniversary party/vow renewal/excuse for a good party event. We are also looking for some reds and whites to serve at said event. And of course we are stocking up for the year. We try to buy our wine up here rather than at the LQ. We cellar a bit away but are mostly buying drinkable wines this year.
We are going to be staying at a bed and breakfast in a suite that has a kitchen, 1 bedroom and living room with pull out couch. It also has a private deck and bbq. The breakfasts look amazing on the website so I am looking forward to that.
There is a also a wonderful beach in Naramata with a fantastic playground a slide that drops off into the water. Its a nice, clean beach and the water is nice and clear as well. We are hoping to fit a few walks/hikes in but that will depend on the heat. And I won't be working at all while I am gone... may not even take the computer with me! oh the horror!! Yes I definately think I will leave it behind. Will miss you all but you won't even know I'm gone, it is afterall only for 3 days.
See you soon!
Sunday, July 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment