Mmm, I found a sweet little coffee shop today called Dolci. Dolci is new to Osoyoos. Osoyoos has come a long way in the last few years. My Dad bought this place over 2 years ago but it we weren't able to move in right away. When he first bought up here the food situation was quite sad. The fresh produce was amazing but the local grocery stores did leave something to be desired. Last year a new Mexican place opened up, cheap, large servings of healthy, vegetable loaded new wave mexican food (vs. the over greasy variety). One of the grocery stores renovated and the second built a new store that is a great improvement! Things were looking up!
This year we spotted a new place... Dolci. I first noticed its double french doors flung wide open and cute bistro furniture. Dh noticed the misters (as in thing that spray water into the dry desert air). I then noticed the fancy mustards and yummy italian pastas as we strolled by. Today we decided to pop in after our run for a cup of coffee. Once in we were pleasantly surprised to find all sorts of goodies from fancy french and italian desserts and pastries to good deli meats and cheesed and baguette orders on saturdays.
DH ordered an Americano and I a soy latte and we ordered the kids "chocolat". When they arrived, they came in a dark creamware, with the inner cup being a warm milk chocolate brown. Two of my favorite colors! Each came with a mini biscotti too. Very yummy.
I ordered a continental breakfast. We North Americans have ruined the name of the continental breakfast with our sad hotel versions serving stale danish and texas sliced wonder bread. This was a real continental breakfast, reminding me of my time in France. Croissant, brown toast, jams, honey, butter and a lovely fruit salad... not that sad cantaloupe + fruit in sickly sweet juice variety, but real, fresh fruit with dried cranberries sprinkled on it. I shared some of the toast with the kids. The croissant was a taste of heaven... airy, light and oh so perfect. DH had a croissant with scrambled eggs, tomatoes and lettuce. The kids, who had breakfast earlier, had some of my toast and split a cinnamon bun. The cinnamon bun was good (I snuck a taste) but no comparison to cinnamon buns made and delivered FRESH from the oven by double double at 11:00 pm at night.
We ate out on this lovely terrace, covered by a pergola with striped fabric awning draped across it. It sounds weird but it looked lovely. Plenty of misters, plants and lovely patio furniture and it looked very french.
We bought a few items as well, roasted marinated olives, roasted red peppers and marinated artichokes. We made a lovely Antipasto platter with these items _ a head of fresh lettuce, 2 fresh tomatoes, some sliced leftover italian sausage and some salami and prosciutto. Added a little goat cheese camembert and a bit of multigrain baguette and it was a complete dinner of sorts.
Sometimes it is the little sweet moments that make a day a good day! I guess that is why they called it Dolci!
Tuesday, July 04, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think it says something that YOUR cinnamon buns beat out someone with a masters in pastry making... who knew you could get a masters degree in that?! Wow, I reallly did choose the wrong career!
am missing fat cat.
Post a Comment